Two days ago, I was helping to guide a customer through a few theme customization questions. He had what seemed to him to be a fairly simple request: Add a Tumblr and GitHub icon to his social media links included in his Theme.Works theme design.
“This should be simple,” he said.
I agreed, so I wrote a little plugin to make is super duper easy. Here is how you do it:
- Create you own custom WordPress theme design here at Theme.Works.
- Download this plugin from GitHub.
- Open the file in a text editor, like TextEdit, and change the array on lines 24-26 to include the slugs of each icon that you want included in the social media section in your Theme.Works theme. For example, let’s say you want to add Tumblr and GitHub icons to your social media section. Just change the $extra_fields array to this:$extra_fields = array(
- Save the modification and upload the plugin to your WordPress site.
- Visit the Appearance -> Theme Options -> Social page and add your new social media links.
Theme.Works uses the Genericons font icon library, so you can use any of the icons listed there to create your custom social media links. If you don’t find your icon there, you might consider using the available action hooks in Theme.Works to add icons, logos, text or anything else your heart desires.
We’re committed to making Theme.Works flexible, extendible and deliver a powerful punch. Your input is vital, so let us know what if you have any feature requests to help make your projects shine.